Blow Torch Blamed For Fire At Cement Plant

Posted: 2019-01-28 07:27:01 By: hbr

On Friday, the Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department responded to a fire at the cement plant on Stephenson Road 8 East in Port Sydney.

Upon arrival, crews from Station 3 encountered smoke in the roof area of the two storey structure. An Aerial and a Pumper were brought in from Huntsville Station 1 to assist.

The fire is believed to have started when a frozen water line was being thawed using a blow torch on the exterior of the building. Damage is estimated at $30,000.

The fire department does not recommend using a blow torch or other open flame device to thaw frozen pipes. Instead, apply heat to the section of pipe using an electric heating pad wrapped around the pipe, an electric hair dryer, a portable space heater (kept away from flammable materials), or by wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water. If you cannot thaw the pipe, call a licensed plumber.