MuskokaONline.com News - #GOTLOCAL

Cooking With BBQ Sets House On Fire

Posted: 2021-07-21 07:58:10 By: thebay

A fire at a home in Gravenhurst early Monday evening caused extensive damage but could have been much worse.

Shortly after 6:00 p.m., Gravenhurst fire crews were called to a residence on Chickadee Lane after the exterior wall of the structure caught fire due to cooking. A resident had been cooking supper on a propane BBQ which was placed too close to the homes exterior wood cladding, causing the wall to catch fire. Despite attempts by the resident to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher, the fire extended up the outside wall and entered the attic of the home.

Fire crews had to operate from both the interior and exterior of the structure to extinguish the fire in the attic space which was spreading in the wood trusses and roof decking.

Fire Chief Jared Cayley was quick to praise the efforts of the fire crews who also were quick to deploy hose lines and get water into the attic space as the fire was growing. “Their determined actions were instrumental in preventing this fire from growing in size.”

This fire also demonstrates the need to be fully attentive to any cooking, whether inside or outside the home. “Cooking related fires remain the leading cause of fires in Ontario,” Cayley says.