District Advises Residents in Blast Zone To Contact Their Insurance Companies
The District of Muskoka is advising residents of the Kimberly Ave area who suffered damage in the blast that occurred on Friday to call their insurance companies.
The District says that while blasting operations were being carried out to remove bedrock, a more significant explosion took place than had been planned and damage was sustained to the exterior of many homes on Kimberley Avenue and adjacent streets, many of which are historic homes.
The OPP called in the Ministry of Labour (MOL) to investigate and determine the cause of the incident. The MOL completed their on-site investigation late Friday but, the findings of the investigation have not been made public.
Following the blast on Friday, residents were advised to contact their insurers to arrange for inspections to determine the full extent of required repairs. The Town of Bracebridge Building Department also responded by carrying out inspections, which confirmed that there were no immediate structural concerns preventing occupancy. The District then retained an emergency restoration contractor to provide urgent assistance with boarding windows and addressing immediate safety concerns.
Clean up and immediate repairs have continued through the weekend.
Fred Jahn, District Commissioner of Engineering and Public Works says affected residents are advised to contact their insurance companies."