District Says Sewer & Water Infrastructure At Blast Zone At Risk of Failure
The District of Muskoka is working closely with owners of 15 homes in the Kimberly Ave area of Bracebridge that sustained damage on Friday after a blast ripped through the area.
The District says blasting operations were being carried out by a sub-contractor on a sewer and water project, and the Ministry of Labour continues to investigate why a more significant explosion took place than had been planned.
The extent of the damage has not been determined and residents are in the process of having inspections carried out through their insurers to assess the extent of damage and to make plans for repairs.
John Klinck, Chair of the District of Muskoka says “The District’s top priority is to support the needs of residents to get their homes repaired and lives back to normal.”
Meanwhile the District is accelerating plans to complete the water and sewer project as soon as possible. Fred Jahn, Commissioner of Engineering and Public Works says “The condition of the water and sewer infrastructure is at risk of failure and could compromise service delivery” he said.
The District has retained Fowler Construction to complete the infrastructure and road work on Kimberley Avenue and they are mobilizing this week.