Family Lucky To Be Alive - Thanks To Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Posted: 2019-09-11 14:55:20 By: hbr

Just after 2am this morning, 9-1-1 operators received a call from a homeowner in Gravenhurst reporting an activated carbon monoxide (CO) alarm.

Firefighters from Station 1 found 600ppm of Carbon Monoxide, a level that is lethal if exposed to it for a short period of time. 

Occupants were outside, upon the Fire Department’s arrival. Gas was shut off and firefighters acted quickly to ventilate the home. It was determined that the source of the CO was a blocked exterior furnace vent, forcing all output CO to remain in the home.

Breyan Sinnott, Fire Prevention Officer said: “This is an example of why CO alarms are law – without one, the likely result would have been fatal, come morning."

Today Is: 2020-01-22 - Week: 3 - 1969-12-01