MuskokaONline.com News - #GOTLOCAL

Fire At Irwin Memorial Public School

Fire At Irwin Memorial Public School

Posted: 2018-05-31 12:24:08 By: hbr

The Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department responded to a reported fire in the kitchen at Irwin Memorial Public School in Dwight yesterday.

When crews from Station 20 and 30 arrived, the fire had been extinguished. Fire crews checked the area and ventilated smoke from the building.

The Fire Dept says the stovetop element was accidentally activated when boxes were placed on top of the stove. Staff discovered the fire and used a fire extinguisher to extinguish it. There was no damage to the area. Students were allowed back into the building once the smoke was cleared.

The Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department recommends that you keep utensils, cloths, paper towels and anything that burns a safe distance from the stove.