Fire Dept Cautions Against Family Fireworks This Weekend
To minimize the risk of fire and burn injuries this Canada Day weekend, the Muskoka Fire Prevention Officers urge residents to attend one of the many public fireworks displays being held in the region instead of family fireworks or informal neighbourhood displays.
Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Prevention Officer Mike Vadlja says “There are many displays being hosted throughout Muskoka with experts who are trained to handle and discharge fireworks safely,” says. “For everyone else, fireworks can be extremely dangerous. For this reason, family fireworks or informal neighbourhood displays are not recommended.”
If you still choose to have family fireworks or an informal neighbourhood display, check with your local fire department about regulations regarding fireworks.
Here are some important safety tips to be followed:
- Appoint a responsible person to be in charge. Only adults who are aware of the hazards and essential safety precautions should handle and discharge fireworks
- Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials like buildings, trees and dry grass
- Keep onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are discharged
- Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks
- Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground. Never try to light a firework in your hand or re-light dud fireworks. For dud fireworks, it is best to wait 30 minutes and soak them in a bucket of water. Dispose of them in a metal container
- Keep sparklers away from children. Sparklers burn extremely hot and can ignite clothing, cause blindness and result in severe burns. As the sparkler wire remains hot for some minutes after burnout, it should be immediately soaked in water to avoid injury