Impaired Driver Breaks Into Home
OPP have arrested and charged a Bracebridge man with numerous offences after he refused to stop for police then unlawfully entered two houses.
Orillia Police say that on Saturday shortly after 9:00 a.m., police received a call reporting that a man was behind the wheel of a parked vehicle in a Murphy Road business parking lot and that he was not responding to people knocking on the window.
Before officers arrived, the driver woke and drove the vehicle away. An officer observed the vehicle a short distance away and attempted to conduct a traffic stop and the driver fled. A short time later, police received a call from a homeowner who reported that a male had entered their garage and then fled on foot. The suspect was arrested a few minutes later and the officer was able identify him as the driver from the earlier complaint.
55 year old Marcel Diotte of Bracebridge, faces a number of charges including:
- Operation while impaired - alcohol and drugs
- Failure or refusal to comply with demand
- Dangerous operation
- Flight from peace officer
- Break, enter a dwelling house - with intent to commit indictable offence
- Possession - break in instruments
- Two counts of fail to comply with probation order
The accused was held for a bail hearing.