Keep Cool - High Temperatures and How to Stay Safe
The Township of Lake of Bays wants to remind residents and visitors to stay cool and exercise caution during those times of high temperatures and humidity. Here are ways to stay safe from the heat when you are unable to access air conditioned spaces.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water.
- Dress for the weather. Wear loose-fitted, lightcoloured clothing, hats, and sunglasses.
- Avoid spending long periods of time outside. If you must be outside, stay in the shade.
Keep your home cool:
- Block the sun by closing blinds or curtains duringthe day.
- Open windows at night to let cooler air into your home.
- Make meals you do not need to cook in the oven.
- Use an air conditioner or fan if possible.
- Take a cool shower or bath.
Being aware of the signs and symptoms can help prevent medical emergencies such as heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Get medical attention immediately during signs of fainting, heat exhaustion, or heat stroke.