Landlord Charged With Fire Safety Infractions
A Brampton based landlord was issued with multiple citations after an investigation into conditions at his Gravenhurst four-plex were prompted by a fire earlier this week.
On Tuesday evening, Gravenhurst Firefighters were called to a fire in a four-unit apartment and found that a small electrical fire had occurred in one of the units. Firefighters discovered that there was an absence of adequate and up-to date smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, and follow-up by fire inspectors led them to charge the owner with five counts of “fail to install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms where required.” Charges were laid on the spot with a total of $3,600.00 in fines.
The owner of the building is facing an “order” to remedy deficiencies in the building.
Breyan Sinnott, fire prevention officer with the Department says “The notion of a landlord failing to adequately safeguard their tenants with basic measures such as alarms is simply intolerable in this day and age.”