New Tougher Distracted Driving Laws In Effect
The OPP is reminding drivers of updated distracted driving laws which came into effect on January 1st.
The penalties for driving with a hand-held wireless communication device have increased including:
- Fine increases up to $1000
- 3 demerit points for a first offence
- 3 day licence suspension
- Penalties rise for subsequent convictions
Novice drivers who are convicted of distracted driving will receive the same fines, but will receive longer licence suspensions as opposed to demerit points.
Police say distracted driving is a broad term that can encompass any behaviour that takes the operator's attention away from operating their vehicle.
There are three main types of distraction which include:
- taking your eyes off the road
- taking your hands of the wheel
- taking your mind off what you're doing