OPP Offer Tips For A Safe Halloween
As Halloween is quickly approaching, the OPP are reminding all parents and children to practice safety precautions to make the evening a memorable one.
Safety tips include:
- Provide children with a flashlight and select a costume with bright colours and reflective material to increase visibility to drivers.
- Use makeup instead of masks, as masks can reduce one's ability to see obstacles, vehicles and other people.
- Walk, don't run and remember to stop, look and listen before crossing the street.
- Never criss-cross the street. Cross at crosswalks or intersections. Call on one side of the street, then the other.
- Never trick or treat alone, go in a group or with an adult. Draw a map outlining the route and set a curfew.
- Stay in familiar neighbourhoods and only go to homes that are well lit and that are participating in Halloween.
- Never go inside a stranger's house to get your treat.
- Always have your treats checked by an adult before eating them.
Motorists are asked to drive slowly in residential areas where children are more like to be trick or treating.