MuskokaONline.com News - #GOTLOCAL

Quick Action Of Staff At Special Care Home Prevents Fire From Spreading

Posted: 2019-08-19 10:07:29 By: hbr

A charging tablet nearly caused a fire in Gravenhurst at a home for special care. Just after 7:00pm on Wednesday August 14, Gravenhurst firefighters were called to an alarm activation at the home located on Muskoka Road North.

Firefighters from Station 1 rushed to the scene to find residents reporting smoke coming from a bedroom in the building. When crews entered they encountered a room full of smoke and charred contents caused by a tablet that was left plugged in to charge near a pillow.  

Breyan Sinnott, fire prevention officer.  “Phones, tablets, and all personal electronic devices should be charged in locations that allow for adequate ventilation to prevent overheating,” said “Charging electronics on fabric or under a pillow does now allow for the heat produced to dissipate in the recharge process. When devices are charged on soft surfaces it may cause the fabric to catch fire.”

The damage to the property is minimal due to the quick actions of staff.