TEXT SIZE: Decrease text size Reset text size Increase text size Print Page

MuskokaONline.com News - #GOTLOCAL

Carbon Monoxide alarm alerts family to hazardous levels of CO
Get Local News!

Carbon Monoxide alarm alerts family to hazardous levels of CO

Posted: 2024-01-23 08:01:17 By: thebay

The Town of Huntsville reported on an incident that took place early on Christmas morning that resulted in firefighters from Station 4 in Baysville responded to a 911 call regarding an activated carbon monoxide alarm at a residence on Bridge Street.

The town says that upon arrival, firefighters discovered a hazardous level of carbon monoxide within the home, traced back to the wood stove.

Carbon monoxide, a silent and potentially deadly gas, can be produced by both wood and gas-burning appliances and the only effective means of detection is a functioning carbon monoxide alarm positioned outside each bedroom.

The Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department, as part of the "Baysville Get Alarmed Program," had recently installed two smoke alarms provided by the Baysville Curling and Bocce Club and a carbon monoxide alarm in the same residence – alarms that may have saved their lives.

Residents are strongly encouraged to regularly check and maintain their carbon monoxide and smoke alarms for optimal safety.