Carbon Monoxide Alarm Saves Family
The Muskoka Lakes Fire Department responded to a call regarding a residential Carbon Monoxide Alarm activation on December 29th.
Upon arrival firefighters entered the residence with gas detectors in hand and immediately received very high readings, with the highest near the furnace room in the basement. The residents had to evacuate the home until a gas service technician was contacted and able to deal with the issue.
The Fire Dept reminds residents that Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless, and tasteless gas that is why it is known as the silent killer. The symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning mimic that of the flu, except you may never wake up from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Carbon Monoxide alarms are mandatory for all homes with fuel-burning appliances, wood stoves or attached garages to have Carbon Monoxide alarms. Alarms are required to be installed outside all sleeping areas.
The Muskoka Lakes Fire Department offers complimentary in-home assessments for Muskoka Lakes residents. Please contact them through the Township Office.