Health Unit Lifts Drinking Water Advisory For Flooded Wells
The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit is lifting the drinking water advisory for those residents with wells no longer impacted by flood waters.
It is recommended after the flood waters recede, all residents with private water supplies assess their wells/surface water intake to check for flood waters and damage. There should be no flood water immediately surrounding the well.
Well owners should exercise extreme caution approaching their wells, especially older, large-diameter dug wells after a flood.
The Health Unit says you should
- Flush the well of any floodwater.
- Disinfect the well and internal plumbing.
- Change any treatment filters.
- Check any water system treatment devices to ensure they are working properly.
- Take a several samples of your well water for testing over a 4 week period to ensure your water is safe to drink.