Scammers Steal $43 Million From Canadians This Year
OPP are cautioning anyone who has been scammed to immediately report the scam or fraud to the police, even if a financial transaction did not occur.
According to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre, Canadians have lost more than $43 million so far this year to cybercriminals and stand to lose even more. Police say criminals continue to use traditional frauds and scams, such as phishing, service and romance, to extort money from their victims.
Police say victims should:
- Stay calm and contact local police
- Stop all communication with the scammer
- Gather all records and correspondence
- Notify financial institutions that accounts may be affected
- Change passwords to accounts, including social media
- Update computer security software
Police say that even if a victim did not lose money, it is important to report the scam or fraud to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre. Reports help police with their investigations and identify current types of scams and frauds while informing proactive criminal prevention programs.