Blue Green Algae blooms on Mary Lake
The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit is advising residents about a blue-green algae bloom impacting the northwest shoreline of Mary Lake.
The health unit says many species of blue-green algae have the potential to produce toxins that are harmful to the health of humans and animals.
The Health Unit recommends:
Do not drink water from private water supplies that draw from or are impacted by the area of the lake where blue-green algae has been identified.
Do not use the private surface water supply taken from affected lake water for the preparation of infant formula.
Do not swim or engage in other water sport activities where an algae bloom is visible.
Do not allow pets or livestock to drink or swim in the water where an algae bloom is visible.
Fish taken from waters with blooms have the potential to contain toxins. Exercise caution when eating fish caught in water where blue-green algae blooms occur.
Symptoms following contact or consuming toxins from a blue-green algae bloom can include skin, eye or throat irritation, breathing difficulties, headaches, fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. Symptoms can be more serious if water is swallowed in large quantities.