TEXT SIZE: Decrease text size Reset text size Increase text size Print Page

MuskokaONline.com News - #GOTLOCAL

Battery in vacuum cleaner causes fire
Get Local News!

Battery in vacuum cleaner causes fire

Posted: 2024-04-16 07:18:46 By: thebay

The Gravenhurst Fire Department responded to a lithium-ion battery fire at an apartment building on Sunday afternoon. Prompted by the building’s fire alarm and 9-1-1 calls around 4 p.m., firefighters quickly contained the fire, which originated from a battery-operated vacuum cleaner.

Thankfully, residents had evacuated, allowing crews to focus on the incident.

Deputy Chief Todd Clapp emphasized the dangers of lithium-ion battery incidents and urged proper handling, storage, and disposal practices.

For more safety information, visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/household-products/battery-safety/lithium-ion.html